The 6 Best Spanish Holiday Destinations
The dynamic metropolises, cultural offerings and breath-taking landscapes of Spain attract travellers from all over the world.
Spain has everything from Roman and Moorish ancient monuments and white villages, to medieval castles and modern wonders.
The countless glittering beaches on the coast of Spain are one of the main reasons tourists flock here all year round.
Spain is an incredible destination choice which can make it hard for travellers to decide where to go. So here we’ve mentioned what we think are among the six best places to holiday in Spain.
The Spanish capital, Madrid showcases the incredible history of the country.
Royal Palaces, hundreds of museums, marching soldiers and many more amazing features make Madrid a perfect holiday destination.
One can never miss the museums while visiting this place. Visit the Prado Museum to see the royal collection of art. Reina Sofia Museum features modern masterpieces such as Picasso's moving Guernica.
The very best in contemporary art is combined with old masters in the Thyssen Bornemisza Museum.
The food culture flourishes here! One can experience great foods from tasting casual tapas three-course dining feasts!
Things to do in Madrid
- Among those museums, The Museo Nacional Del Prado is the most popular one in Europe. Some of the art from the 12th to 19thcentury Europe are live here. These are some of the world's most universally recognizable artworks.
- Visit unique and beautiful parks in Madrid that are peppered all over the city. There are lots of parks such as Paraque de Buen Retiro, Palacios de Cristal, Madrid Rio Park and Parque del Oeste.
- Madrid-Atocha Train Station is an indoor botanical garden. One can see almost 260 species of trees.
Amazing facts about Madrid
- Madrid wasn't the capital of Spain from the beginning. The original capital of Spain was Toledo till the 1500's.
- Madrid is over 2000 years old.
- It’s in the top three biggest cities in the whole of Europe!
Barcelona is located in Spain's northern region.
It's popular among tourists due to Gaudi's Art Nouveau buildings, paella, football, amongst other things.
This is the best place to visit in Spain to admire the outstanding works of Antoni Gaudi and the world-famous Sagrada Familia.
It’s also a fan-favourite for European city breaks.
One should never miss the La Ramblas. It is the most famous promenade in the city. It's a great idea to engage in a walking tour. Make sure to also include Parc Guell, Casa Battlo, Casa Mila, Port Vell and Cristobal monument in the list!
Things to do in Barcelona
- Start the journey of Barcelona from Sagrada Familia and Antoni Gaudi's work. It combines various architectural styles that include Art Nouveau, Catalan Modernism, and Spanish Cate-Gothic.
- Walk on the beachfront of Barcelona which allows one to understand the beauty of the city. Tourist visits the western most beaches a lot. There are bars with terraces, trendy shops and outdoor seating.
- Explore the preserved Roman sites across the Gothic Quarter in the History Museum of Barcelona. Place Del Rei explains detailed layers of the ancient history of the place.
Amazing facts about Barcelona
- Until 1992, there wasn't a single beach in Barcelona. The beaches of this place are artificial. The city hosted the Olympic games in that year and due to this, created these awesome beaches.
- Las Ramblas, the two-kilometer-long boulevard,is well-known in Barcelona. It is the heart of the place, and it is situated in the old Gothic Quarter. The street is divided into five different avenues. Rambla Del Estudis, Rambla de Canaletes, Rambla de Sant Josep, Rambla de Santa Monica and Rambla dels Caputxins.
- Camp Nou is a stadium in Europe that is located in Barcelona. It also has a museum of its own.
The largest island among the Spanish Balearic islands.It’s located to the east of the mainland. Mallorca has many treasures like the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range. For those who love to cycle in outstanding scenic landscapes you’ll want to check out the Cap de Formentor cycle loop in the far northern coast.
It also has Olive gardens, Carob groves and Almonds trees. Make sure to visit Palma, the medieval town of the island which has palaces and soaring Cathedrals.
The culture of this place cherishes good wine, food,and fun.
Things to do in Mallorca
- Serra de Tramuntana is located on the northern coast of Mallorca. It is a beautiful landscape of jaw-dropping cliffs, deep gorges, and Puig Major, the highest peak at Mallorca. Hiking through orange and lemon groves is a fantastic experience.
- Explore the Bellver Castle that reigns a wooded hillside located in the west of Palma. Travellers love to enjoy the panoramic views from the top. It also provides restrooms and a cafe for much needed rest stops.
- Engaging in the Boat Tours of Mallorca is a great way to explore the remote corners of the island. Some boat tours also include a nice meal during the journey. One of the popular tours in Mallorca is Oasis Catamaran. It stops in various bays while sailing around the island.
Amazing facts about Mallorca
- The waters of the sea on the coast of Mallorca are crystal clear. The Posidonia rich seawater is the reason behind it.
- The Beaver Castle, built-in 14 the century at 112 meters above sea level, represents the island's best views.
- Portopi's lighthouse, located in Mallorca, is Spain's second oldest functioning lighthouse and was started in the early 14th century.
Catalonia's Costa Brava is another stunning holiday spot in Spain located on the country's northern Mediterranean coast.
There are rugged cliffs, small beaches and tons of bays,coves, and inlets. The most famous seaside resort towns among tourists are the Lloret de Mar Blanes and Tossa de Mar.
One can also visit Monasterio de Sant and Pere de Rodes monastery. It is in the natural park area named Cap de Creus, situated near the Fizueres town.
Dali Muin, the town, is also a fantastic spot to visit.The artist of the museum himself engaged in designing and planning.
Things to do in Costa Brava
- Portopi's lighthouse, located in Mallorca, is Spain's second oldest functioning lighthouse and was started in the early 14century.
- Roses is a picturesque seaside vacation destination. Due to the splendid beaches, breath-taking sunsets and unique locations, the town has earned its popularity.
- The Cap de Creus Natural Park and the Cap de Peninsula are the best landscapes to explore. The outline of the place is surrounded by small vegetation, rock formations, a small bay and forests. Hike or swim at the cove to experience the best of this place.
Amazing facts about Costa Brava
- In the early 20th century, a journalist gave the name Costa Brava that means rugged coast.
- The natural splendour of the coastline of Costa Brava has attracted many artists as well. They spend a considerable amount of time soaking in the vibe and have created masterpieces inspired by the place.
- In 1998, residents took steps to protect a wide range of micro-climates and natural habitats. Till now, they protect natural havens.
- Costa Brava also celebrates festivals like the Dance of the Almorratxes and Our Lady of Carmen. Tourists can enjoy and experience a great festival vibe here.
Granada is located at the Sierra Nevada's foot. Soak up the atmosphere of lovely streets and the stunning architecture inspired by Islamic artists and architects.
Alhambra Palace is a huge cultural site, that draws tourists to its gates from all over the world. In fact, it’s one of Spain’s most iconic landmarks.
Immerse into the bustling marketplaces or walk in the energized streets while looking for a local café dotted around to enjoy some tradition snacks and drinks.
Spring and autumn are the ideal times to visit Granada, as the temperature just right – it can get very hot we warn you!
Things to do in Granada
- Visit the masterpiece of Islamic architecture, the Alhambra. One should never miss the residence of the Moorish rulers from the 13th to the 15th century.
- Capilla Real de Granada presents the best grandeur of the Catholic Monarch in Spain. It is famous for interior stained-glass windows of the 16th century and seven large Alonso Cano paintings. Spend valuable time at this Royal Chapel of Granada.
- One can also explore the best and oldest traditional Arab baths in Spain, the Banuelos. Also, the hammam of Granada is newly built that offers modern pampering spa services to relax.
Amazing facts about Granada
- Plaza de Las Pasiegas, the majestic Granada Cathedral, is considered the first Renaissance church of Spain. It is the only church that offers a distinctive architectural style.
- Granada's beautiful region was not a part of the Spanish territory in ancient times.
- There are several theories available about the origin of Alhambra's name. Some believe that the word Alhambra came from "al-Qal'a al-Hamra," which means Red Castle. Others say that it is the feminine version of the person's nickname who ordered this building.
Partygoers will say Ibiza is the best place to go in Spain, to enjoy a vacation filled with sun-drenched days, beaches,sailboats and long nights.
Ibiza is world-renowned for its captivating nightlife and celebrations that last until the sun-rises!
One can also enjoy Pine-Clad hills hiding the quaint villages. The beaches, traditional Balearic foods, and local markets are places to go during your vacation and give the other side of Ibiza not normally emphasises; scenery, peace and calm.
Things to do in Ibiza
- Experience the beauty of Vedra; it is a small, rocky island situated on the western coast of Ibiza.
- Dalt Vila is another ‘best place to visit’; it constitutes Ibiza's most historical part. Inside the Dalt Vila, one will get Catedral de Eivissa with its Catalan Go Thic style. Enjoy the magnificent views from the centuries-old Castell d'Eivissa.
- Cala Saladeta is a remote beach located on the west coast of the island. It’s a prime place for snorkelling in the turquoise waters and secluded vibe of the site.
Amazing facts about Ibiza
- Over the past few years, Ibiza has considerably pushed tourism. The place is focusing on sophisticated clientele to attract them. Besides great clubs, this is the best winter destination as well.
- Some Balearic Islands form a tiny island named Pine islands, in which Ibiza is also included. These islands have their dialect– Eivissence. At the same time, other Balearic Islands speak Spanish and Catalan.
- The rural and simple life of Ibiza surprises tourists the most outside those famous tourist areas. To experience Ibiza as local life, one should rent Villa in Santa Gertrudis, San Agusti des Vedra, San Miguel, etc. Enjoy the traditional dances, regular markets, and many more in some of these villages.
Best place for all kinds of travellers
Spain is a great choice every type of traveller can enjoy. It’s filled with history, culture, food, inspiring sights, gorgeous scenery and so much.
These are the six best holiday destinations, Spain.